Friday, April 13, 2007

Prelude to a Mid-Life Crisis

Every since I turned 34, I've been going through something. Not a Mid-Life Crisis, really, but maybe the warm-up for it. For a long time, I've sort of put my life into perspective by doubling my age and thinking, "I have as much time between now and then, as I've had getting here." So, very likely at 17 I was wondering what I would be doing at 34.

And here I am. And when you double 34? 68. So really, I'm at mid-life now. Have I done half of what I want to do in life? Do I have the life that my 17 year old self would have wished for? I really don't know. I'm not sure I ever decided what I want to be when I grow up.

I know this. I have a wonderful wife and daughter. And lately I probably haven't been as good of a husband and father as I should be. I probably haven't been as good as a son as I should be for quite some time. I've been holding off on writing this down until I could come to some sort of conclusion, but I guess in real life we never really have the time to do that. By the time you figure out these questions you realize another 10 years have past and you are now in a completely different stage of life.

One song that seems to make a lot of sense to me right now is "Aweful Beautiful Life".

And so tonight, I will be celebrating Katie's 2nd Birthday. A very happy occasion for all involved. I wish her many years, and the wisdom to use them well.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At June 19, 2011 6:58 PM, Anonymous Slots Odds said...

Bravo, the excellent message

 

Post a Comment

<< Home